Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Value Chain PPP Manager (West Africa Trade & Investment Hub)
- The USAID-funded West Africa Trade and Investment Hub Project (hereinafter referred to as the Trade Hub) is a five-year, $140 million trade and investment facilitation activity that seeks to improve private sector competitiveness in West Africa through a market-based approach. By working in partnership with the private sector and fostering co-investments, the project will generate new private-sector capital investment into key sectors to create jobs and increase trade between the U.S. and West Africa, including through increased utilization of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA). The project comprises of three main components:
- Design and administration of a Co-Investment fund for private sector partnerships, including a portion for partnerships in Research and Development (R&D) towards innovating and modernizing practices in Nigeria across five targeted value chains;
- Technical assistance (TA) that directly supports, coordinates, and engages with qualifying recipients (i.e., partners and grantees) to achieve USAID’s trade and food security objectives;
- Urgently respond to the secondary economic impacts of COVID-19, notably to 1) increase access of working capital with financial actors, 2) prevent and mitigate job losses, and 3) help respond to local and regional supply chain disruptions and shortages of critical medical supplies and services as well as for agricultural inputs and food staples.
- Through this Co-Investment Fund and technical assistance, the Trade Hub will improve companies’ abilities to expand business operations, increase productivity, and create jobs that build on the talents and aspirations of West Africa’s growing population.
- The Trade Hub will collaborate on specific commercial opportunities with firms, service providers, research organizations, as well as other business network actors to access private capital that will contribute to large-scale jobs, exports and investment, particularly with strong demonstrated or potential links to the U.S. companies and investors.
The Value Chain PPP Manager will support Public-Private Partnership (PPP) efforts in establishing co-investment projects related to the five targeted value chains in Nigeria. The Value Chain PPP Manager’s responsibilities will include:
- Building partnerships with private sector organizations, firms, and financial institutions operating in Trade Hub’s strategic target sectors in Nigeria, primarily within five value chains (maize, rice, soy, cowpea, aquaculture) and seven target states (Kebbi, Niger, Kaduna, Ebonyi, Benue, Delta, Cross River);
- Providing agribusiness expertise to potential and ongoing co-investment partnerships to the Trade Hub;
- Leveraging existing network and contacts to engage with private companies in Nigeria and achieve proven results;
- Completing preliminary analysis and evaluations of potential agriculture-based projects;
- Conducting and supporting technical screening efforts of potential partners to the Trade Hub;
- Supporting grantees during the implementation of activities as the technical point of contact;
- When necessary, provide technical assistance and support to the R&D.
Reporting and Supervision:
- The Value Chain PPP Manager will report to the PPP Director with additional support being provided by the Chief of Party.
- Build relationships with the private sector in Nigeria, pro-actively identify new potential partners and co-investment opportunities, and develop innovative ways to grow the pipeline;
- Maintain strong relationships with private sector firms operating in Trade Hub’s strategic investment sectors with the goal to create co-investment opportunities that generate development impact
- Complete preliminary analysis, investment memos for projects and partners, and provide recommendations for shortlisting;
- Provide technical oversight to grantees during concept note and full application development, and during implementation of their investment projects.
- Ensure efficient and effective coordination between applicants and Trade Hub’s Grants, M&E, Communication, and Procurement teams. ;
- Update Trade Hub’s portfolio and pipeline tracker tools and systems.
- When required, assist the PPP team in other regions to help facilitate the implementation of the Co-Investment Fund.
- Prepare presentations and make high-level presentations to client and partners.
- Carefully vet submitted concept notes and full applications to ensure that they address Trade Hub’s technical and development objectives in Nigeria and that they are compliant with Trade Hub’s requirements.
- Provide critical agricultural review of submitted concept notes and full applications, including assessing applicant’s business model, investment thesis, and the applicability of the business model and the proposed investment project in meeting Trade Hub’s agricultural development and impact objectives in Nigeria.
- Assist and guide applicants in developing high-quality concept notes and full applications, including the overall structure and flow of their applications, providing detailed instructions for addressing Trade Hub’s technical requirements, and developing and aligning budget and the budget narratives with the technical proposal.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Agronomy or related field,
- At least 10 years of relevant market-driven private sector experience in the agriculture field in the role of managing, developing and deploying innovations and efficiencies in businesses with demonstrated results in helping firms expand.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical abilities.
- Strong execution skills yet displaying the potential/ability to adopt a strategic approach.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills required, including the ability to produce high-quality project reports and deliver high-level presentations to clients and partners.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout West Africa
- Problem-solving, stress management and time management skills are required
- Proficient at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with institutional and private sector partners and stakeholders, including the national government.
- Strong preference in past experience working with agribusinesses in Nigeria, notably in at least one of the five target value chains (maize, rice, soy, cowpea, aquaculture).
- Ability to prospect for potential new project partner enterprises to jointly improve their operations, improve their competitiveness, and enhance their business growth.
- Ability to build relationships with management of project partner-enterprises, leading to developing a strong shared vision about enterprises’ needs and recommendations to enhance their competitiveness, grow their business, and generate employment.
- Integrity and honesty in the management of a portfolio of the private sector partner enterprise.
- Experience engaging private sector partners and forging public-private partnerships in Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV either in PDF or word format as one document to: Recruit@westafricatih.com using the position as the subject of the email.
- Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
- Creative Associates International Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Disability/Veteran
- we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline 4th January, 2021.