The UNESCO International Centre for Biotechnology (UNECO ICB) was established through agreement between the Federal Government of Nigeria and the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), to carry out biotechnology related research and training in three thematic areas – food security, tropical diseases and bioresources conservation.
Applications are invited for:
Title: 2021 UNESCO International Centre for Biotechnology (UNECO ICB) Scholarship Award
- As part of the Centre’s human capital development programme, applications are invited from qualified Nigerian students in tertiary academic institutions under the annual Scholarship programmes. Each successful applicant will receive an award for one academic year towards tuition fee, accommodation, books and living expenses.
- Per annum, there are 3 categories of award, and for each category there are 15 scholarships which includes 5 awards for each of the Centre’s thematic areas – food security, tropical diseases, and bioresources conservation:
- Final Year Bachelor’s Degree scholarship (15 awards)
- Master’s Degree scholarship (15 awards), and
- PhD scholarship (15 awards). A total of 45 scholarships will be awarded per annum.
Candidate Selection and Award Criteria
- Evidence that the students currently registered in a tertiary academic institution in Nigeria for the category of award applied.
- Course of study is biotechnology or biotechnology related disciplines including agriculture, biosciences bioengineering, etc. relevant to the Centre’s thematic areas – food security, tropical diseases, and bioresources conservation.
- Current cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is at least 2nd Class Upper (2:1) at the time of application or the most recently completed degree for MSc and PhD students.
- Preference will be given to First Class students and/or those at the top of their class.
- Not more than one (1) award per scholarship category per thematic area from any academic institution. For instance, more than one (1) award may not be made for MSc Scholarship in Tropical Diseases from one institution.
Other Requirements for the Awards:
- Final awards will maintain both national spread and gender balance.
- Successful candidates will attend the Award Ceremony in person at designated venue and make an oral presentation of the final year project or thesis research findings.
- The awardee will acknowledge the Centre in all publications (eg. thesis, scientific paper, conference paper) arising from the research project / thesis.
- The awarded shall deposit a copy of all publications arising from the project / thesis at the Centre in both digital and hard copies.
- All applications received will be acknowledged; however, only successful applicants will be contacted further. The decision of the Scholarships Awards Committee is final.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Application for 2020 Scholarship” as the subject of the mail.
- Each application must include the following documents:
- Motivation letter by the student
- Copies of current student ID and admission letter
- Copies of current certificates and academic transcripts, and
- Supporting letter from current Head of Department (HOD) on official letterhead, confirming the students’ academic status
- Candidates must ensure that their complete applications are received by the deadline.
- Incomplete applications and those received after the deadline will not be considered
Application Deadline 15th October, 2021 at 12:00 PM.
we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.