The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Supervisory Human Resources Assistant – Employees of the Mission All/or EFMs, USEFM, or MOHs
Announcement Number: Lagos-2021-045
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series/Grade: LE – 0305 9
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-9
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 5. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: Yes
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- The position directly supervises one Human Resources (HR) Assistant, FSN-08. Provides full scope of Locally Employed Staff (LE staff) / Personal Service Agreement (PSA) human resources support service to State offices and other agencies involving over 350 LE Staff.
- Assists in providing regional support services to assigned posts. Assist in administering the Mission Incentive Awards (Lagos) and FSN training programs (Lagos).
- Position is directly supervised by the Deputy Human Resources Officer.
- Oversees work performed by subordinate in providing personnel support services to over 80 assigned officers. Oversees Lagos Consulate General recruitment function.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management with additional six months as a supervisory level is required.
- Thorough knowledge of 3 FAM, Employee’s Handbook, Department’s Personnel, Post Management Instructions and Staff Notices related to FSN administration.
- Through knowledge of Regional HRO Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), FSN Position Classification & Job Evaluation and the Electronic Recruitment Application Software is required.
- Good understanding of the Nigerian labor laws and Nigerian labor market is required. General understanding of diplomat accreditation and immigration regulations/requirements in Nigeria is required.
- Language: Advanced fluency in speaking / reading / writing of English is required. This may be tested.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to deal with personnel at all levels of the U.S. Mission and outside organizations is required. Must have good counselling skills.
- Good keyboard and computer skills (25 WPM) with emphasis on accuracy is required for work on specialized software like OPS, MClass and Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA). Proficiency in Microsoft Office is required for daily work with excel, word, outlook and publisher.
- Must be tactful, possess good judgement and be able to maintain effective working relationship with employees and American / FSN supervisors.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN 10,908,677 annually.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit (if applicable)
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate
- Certificate or License
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria
Application Deadline 22nd April, 2021.
- we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.