The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Health Quality Manager
Requisition ID: req11734
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
- The conflict in North East Nigeria has displaced over 1.9 million people and shattered livelihoods of many more. Since 2014 IRC has been delivering support to communities affected; across Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states, with field offices in Maiduguri, Monguno, Gwoza, Damaturu, Yola and Mubi and a country office in Abuja.
- With over 700 staff we deliver humanitarian support and longer term recovery programming in health, nutrition, WASH, education, protection, economic recovery and livelihoods. We work in coordination with State government Ministries, WHO, UNICEF, UNHCR, UN OCHA and other development organizations. IRC is an active participant in coordination mechanisms to contribute to improved impact.
Scope of Work
IRC is seeking a dynamic and experienced health professional who will be accountable for overall quality of IRC health programs. Reporting to the Health Coordinator, the Senior Health Quality Manager will be responsible for quality health program implementation. The Senior Health Quality Manager will be an experienced manager with overall responsibility to support the implementation of a health program quality management system with an emphasis on:
- Quality assurance systems that facilitate quality program implementation, according to defined standards, and utilization of program data to guide decision making and quality improvement;
- Effective project management processes and tools to support efficient and coordinated project execution;
- Documentation and dissemination of project approaches and achievements to facilitate applied learning internally and externally.
- The Senior Health Quality Manager will support the Health Coordinator to work closely with and link diverse internal stakeholders and functions together with the explicit goal of ensuring the quality and effectiveness of the program. The Senior Health Quality Manager will promote data-driven adaptive management, and will strengthen the staff capacity to share and apply learning to continuously improve the program’
- This position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State, with regular travel to supervise IRC’s emergency health and health systems-strengthening programs throughout the northeast.
Capability building, quality improvement and standards:
- Enhance the technical capability of health staff to improve quality of implementation in health program;
- Draw lessons and gain insights from experiences, including of programme and project effectiveness, and feed these back project review discussions;
- Organizes, compiles, donor reports to identify trends, establish priorities, and recommend improvement activities;
- Performs comprehensive, concurrent, and retrospective health service utilization data reviews including morbidity trends in a timely manner;
- Reports findings to other departments such as utilization review, infection control, and risk management;
- Keeps abreast of current MOH, WHO and the IRC standards/protocols and other standards, and the latest quality techniques in provision of health care.
- Identifies gaps in quality and technical capability through monitoring, supervision/ongoing assessment, including visits, and implements improvements in practice, working closely with health teams;
- Ensures adherence to agreed health and reproductive health protocol, guidelines and standards and ensures health projects implementation are of high quality and meets the IRC/MoH/International standards;
- Works with health sector and other sectors on project implementation review activities;
- Provide quality improvement leadership and coordinates the implementation of quality improvement program to meet the needs of beneficiaries, donors, IRC and external agencies;
Monitoring quality of health program implementation:
- Make regular field visits to monitor project implementation and provide on-spot support to field teams and propose modifications as necessary;
- Ensure regular health program data analysis and review, take follow up action on project implementation and prepare relevant action reports;
- Supervise and provide technical oversight in the interpretation of data for improved programming and implementation;
- Monitor and promote integrated programming in a way that increases overall impact of health program at the community level.
Representation, Coordination and Advocacy:
- Represent the program to State and Local government representatives, , partner agencies, etc. as required;
- In coordination with the Health Coordinator actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders with government actors, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors;
- Attend all relevant meetings in relation to the health program as may be required and feed in the IRC priorities during meetings;
- Facilitate field visits for internal and external stakeholders, when required.
- Master’s degree in relevant Health-related subject, post-graduate medical degree (MPH, MD, RN, PA, or midwife), or other relevant degree; with experience in quality assurance or knowledge management.
- At least five years’ experience in design and implementation of quality health programs in developing countries, insecure environments and areas affected by crisis;
- Experience running large, geographically dispersed teams and working in tandem with local and international partners;
- High level of comfort and working knowledge of real-time information management systems and knowledge management platforms, including familiarity with data visualization approaches;
- Demonstrated ability & reputation to build strong working relationships and communicate effectively to health team including M&E health staff;
- Flexible, diplomatic and have ability and willingness live and work under pressure of workloads;
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Fluency in English (spoken and written);
- Ability to handle a large and dynamic workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Previous work experience in West Africa, field experience in Nigeria is preferred.
- Proven work experience in project management, and quality assurance;
- Demonstrated experience working in an international NGO environment and effectively dealing with project staff, both national and international government officials, and other NGOs;
- Proven capacity in delivering effective quality health program implementation;
- Ability to review, analyze, and interpret program data (quantitative and qualitative), and effectively present accurate information to diverse audiences in easy-to-understand language and formats;
- Demonstrated capacity and applied skills in project management including development and monitoring of work plans, and working knowledge of budget management;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Nigeria nationals or long-term residents are particularly encouraged to apply;
- IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct: integrity, service, and accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on the protection of the beneficiary against exploitation and abuse, the safeguarding of the child, harassment in the workplace, fiscal integrity and anti-retaliation;
- IRC is committed to promote gender equality at work. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce, including parental leave, gender-sensitive safety protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances;
- IRC is an equal opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law
- we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline 18th January, 2021.