Solidarites International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization which provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For over 40 years the association has focused on meeting three vital needs – water, food and shelter. SI is present in North-East Nigeria since 2016 and is currently operating in 4 bases across Borno State (Maiduguri, Monguno, Ngala, and Dikwa) with outreach capacities across all BAY States through its emergency component. Currently, SI carries out emergency / post – emergency programs in WASH sector in North-West Nigeria where limited actors are currently present.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Contract Start Date: Projected contract duration is 6 Months – with possible extension
Goal / Purpose
- The Senior Accountant supports the Finance/Deputy Finance coordinator in processing SI’s accounting operations on a mission.
- He/she is one of those charged with ensuring that SI rules and procedures regarding commitment and follow up of expenses are followed at the base level as well as at the coordination level.
- He/she offers administrative support to administrators and teams on all matters relating to accounting.
- Participate in training the administrative teams
- Ensure that mission cashiers and accountants are trained
- Train and supervise the cashier of the coordination base
- Verify the coordination base’s accounting
Financial, accounting and budgetary management:
- Carry out preliminary budgetary controls to be forwarded to the administrator and regularised
Management of the mission’s accounting:
- Ensure that lease contract sums due are paid and distribute the burden of costs
- Check with the HR department that the personnel database is complete and up-to-date
- Allocate invoices for expenses from/for other missions (inter-mission expenses)
- Centralize the accounting for different bases within SAGA
- Ensure that the monthly accounting documents are compiled and sent to the headquarters: accounting board, DATA salary, cash box inventories, bank reconciliations, HOMERE backup)
- Carry out the required accounting changes if necessary (reallocations etc.)
- Integrate the exchange rates sent by the headquarters into SAGA every month
- Monitor the monthly allocation of Paris costs incurred by the headquarters within SAGA
- Send SAGA to bases following monthly integration at the headquarters
- Monitor voucher creation at bases level and the monthly return of base documents to the coordinating level
- Verify vouchers and other accounting documents to be sent to the headquarters every 6 months
- Verify the accounting for the different bases (description, accounting codes, analytical codes, monthly exchange rate)
- Carry out a systematic monthly check of advances from each cash box (matched and unmatched)
- Carry out transaction matching at a mission level
- Carry out physical checks of supporting documents received from the bases
- Check cash box inventories and bank reconciliations for each Balzac
- Supervise the semi-annual analytic closure and the annual accounting closure with the administrative team, under the supervision of the administrative coordinator or his/her deputy (expenditure incurred, analytical and budgetary allocation, leave balances, donations in kind, equipment assets etc.)
Administrative HR management:
- Verify and validate monthly payment operations (Balzac XX)
- Ensure that taxes are paid to the authorities
Administrative management of the mission:
- Ensure physical and IT archiving, as well as securing accounting documents
- Conduct the quarterly mailing of accounting archives to headquarters after internal inspection
- In conjunction with the administrative coordinator or his/her deputy, monitor whether accounting documents are consistent with interim and final financial reports
- Ensure that declarations and payments of taxes and contributions are made to the relevant organizations
- Prepare and assist with audits or possible inspections
Org Chart Position (reporting and functional relationships)
- Line manager: Finance coordinator/Deputy Finance Coordinator
- Line report(s): Cashier(s)
- Functional manager: Finance coordinator/Deputy Finance Coordinator
Job Profile / Requirements
- Diploma in Accounting (mandatory)
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in an accounting position
- Knowledge of SAGA is mandatory
- Autonomy, rigour, analytical skills
- High work ethic and respect for rules
- Good level of English (written and spoken).
- 1-year experience in NGO (preferable)
- Any knowledge of financial management is a plus
- Excellent MS-Excel skills
What We Offer
- Salary + Transport & housing contributions + social benefits (medical coverage, 24 days of Annual leaves per year, compassionate leaves, public holidays as announced by government, festive bonus, Life insurance – covering death and permanent disability), etc.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 9th November, 2021.
we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.