Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Mobilization Officer
Ref No: 200007HN
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Contract Length: 12 Fixed Term
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Child Safeguarding: (select only one)
- Level 3: The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- The person is responsible for the day to day implementation of GAC/ECG in Yobe state northeast Nigeria.
- The Community Mobilization Officer provides both operations and technical assistance relating to Education in Emergencies projects. The job holder provides coordination and engagement with relevant Education stakeholders including; SUBEB, Local education Authorities (LEAs), and ministry of education.
- The job holder will also be working closely with community leaders, religious leaders as well as a community member. support the State team to ensure commitment and involvement of local authorities and community members in the programme; and support community mobilization to ensure participation, sustainability of the programme as well as that the voices of community members, including women and children are heard.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Advocacy and Campaign Coordinator
- Staff reporting to this post: None.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Identify policy and practice change, on the basis of Save the Children’s experience, that would promote and protect the rights of children.
- Support in formulating key advocacy messages and targets from lessons learned, assessments, research and evidence gained through project implementation with NRC
- Ensure that procurement and distribution of materials and equipment is timely and in line with NRC policies and procedures; ensure accuracy of portfolio inventory (assets, supplies, materials)
- Ensure accurate project documentation, including collection of monitoring data and tracking of progress on output indicators; utilize data to contribute to reports as requested by management
- Facilitate relationships with communities and community leaders to ensure buy-in and Do No Harm
- Supervise and manage the teachers, including facilitation of teacher training
- Provide support on youth/adolescent programming, including, life skills, basic literacy/numeracy, and alternative/accelerated education
- Support Education Officer in identification of needs, and development and facilitation of training programmes for teachers, PTAs, SBMCs
- Contribute to proposal and strategy development through input on needs/gaps
- Ensure that voices of children form the basis of Save the Children’s advocacy strategy.
- Ensure Save the Children visibility is seen in the state
- Actively participate in all Save the Children and CSO Coalition driven activities in the state
- Engage with the state and local governments in policies review when needed
- Facilitate meetings of the coalition groups
- Prepare monthly reports of activities carried out
- Implement delegated portfolio of Education projects in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the line manager
Operational Planning and Implementation:
- Work closely with Advocacy and Campaign Coordinator, to ensure planning of day to day implementation, update on spending, implementation, monitoring, documentation and reporting for EDUCATION projects is done.
- Ensure timely implementation and budget performance in line with the projects plans and budgets.
- Effectively support the teachers and partners in proper service delivery are in line with EDUCATION Projects design and Save the Children International planning guidelines and ensure compliance with the agreed work plans and that programme objectives and targets are being realised in line with the funding proposals.
- Ensure that EDUCATION Projects implementation are to the desired standards and on time.
- Maintain high standard of transparency and accountability in the course of programme implementation while ensuring integrity and timeliness of activities implementation in meeting programme objectives, compliance with donors & Save the Children policies.
- Provision of regular operations and implementation updates on project progress and challenges to allow for timely interventions and corrective actions by management.
Program and Financial Reporting:
- Contribute in the preparation of timely and high-quality progress and end of projects narrative and financial reports which are in accordance to the donor reporting schedule and formats.
- participate quarterly follow-ups and progress review meetings to address key performance issues from the reports.
Internal and External Engagements:
- Ensuring that the program experience is represented and given recognition at stakeholder meetings, workshops, donor, networks and any other engagements.
- Develop and maintain regular channels of communication with partners and key stakeholders at all levels (Community, LGEA and State).
- Effectively manage projects design and study processes which include assessments, baseline and evaluation studies, putting in place a functional Activity Tracking Table.
- Ensure that the projects quality benchmarks are followed.
- Collecting and managing complaints and feedback in close coordination with MEAL team and Projects Officers.
- Ensure regular monitoring of projects results, documentation of projects case studies, lessons learnt, significant changes and best practices and coordinating learning and reflection meetings/sessions
- Ensure effective programs/ projects monitoring and evaluation systems is in place.
- Monitor programs/ projects activities to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to both Country Office and international Save the Children policies and procedures.
Human Resources Management and Development:
- Working together with the Education Program Manager and Project Team to identify learning and development needs of the project teams and develop specific plans to address the learning needs.
- Capacity building of Community Mobilization Assistants through trainings, coaching, performance management, implementation as well as in learning and reflection events
- Setting and managing staffing targets, performance and priorities Community Mobilization Assistants.
- Participate in monthly/weekly project management meetings to enable adequate staff support
- Support implementation of the Save the Children performance management system, by supporting, supervising and reviewing performance of the Community Mobilization Assistants. .
- Coaching and mentoring on the provision of technical support and implementation of quality programmes.
- In liaison with Programme Manager, Education Advisor and Humanitarian leadership team provide guidance and support to projects team, partners and stakeholders.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Additional job responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- A degree in Health, Social Work, Psychology, Communications or related social science field.
- Substantial experience in advocacy and policy development / research in the development context.
- Good understanding of the possibilities and tactics for influencing decision and policymakers, politicians, donors, and other key actors.
- Knowledge of the media and its role in raising awareness and shaping public policy.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with partner agencies and key contacts in the government, NGO, civil society (coalitions) and media sectors.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, adaptability and ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Good computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, email / internet) and ability to be self-supporting in most administrative tasks.
- Fluent English language skills (written and verbal).
- Commitment to the values, mission, aims and policies of Save the Children.
- Good understanding of strategies for achieving child protection, Psychosocial programming policies through participatory processes, and the links with gender, diversity and other aspects of identity.
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills and demonstrable ability to think strategically, innovatively and practically to ensure achievement of desired change objectives.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences at local, state and national levels.
- Experience in training others in advocacy techniques and influencing tactics.
- Prior work experience in advocacy in Nigeria.
- Experience working on development or humanitarian programming.
- Local language skills (Hausa)
Experience and Skills
- At least 3 years of accrued working experience in program implementation with a minimum of 3 years in a management level position in an international NGO and those applying partnership approaches is desirable.
- Experience of working with local partners and Local Government and State Authorities in Education, Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, or Child Protection is an added advantage.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Equal Opportunities: The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- Child Safeguarding: We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Health and Safety: The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures
we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.
25th December, 2020.