Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Roving Project Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The purpose of this role is to serve as program technical support for all project implementation of PLAN in northeast, Nigeria.
- The role holder will provide leadership and management of the grants assigned and ensure project deliverables are met in the start-up phase and handover to the project coordinator/Manager when recruited.
- The candidate will be directly involved in project planning, managing programme quality, financial and narrative reporting, and liaison with relevant stakeholders and community mobilisation.
- Additional responsibilities include supervision and technical assistance to project staff as well as relations with key partners and service providers.
Dimensions of the Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria and with partners and related government institutions.
- The post holder will support to coordinate all projects focusing on quality integrated program implementation.
- And also document lessons learnt and provide support where necessary required on Plan International’s emergency response.
- The post holder will also contribute towards the capacity building of Plan International implementing partners.
In collaboration with the Deputy Emergency Response Manager and Specialists:
- To understand the project initiation documents, and have a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions, and the respective roles and responsibilities of PLAN/partners/stakeholders to ensure the project(s) interventions are capable of meeting country strategic impact for both PLAN, direct and indirect beneficiaries.
- Establish solid working relationship with the project steering committee and manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions, and are in a position to accept handover project physical outputs.
- Advise the beneficiaries on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes; which include issue of sustainability.
- Ensure Plan international guidelines and humanitarian response plan are considered and any departures documented.
- Provide regular updates to the Deputy Emergency Response Manager, humanitarian unit and the rest of the CO on progress, priorities and constraints – verbally and in writing on an agreed frequency.
- Represent Plan International to clusters, governmental and non-governmental groups as needed and agreed with the Team Leader.
- Brief updates and reports on sectoral activities/strategies to donors and other stakeholders.
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social, gender and disability inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle.
- Actively interact with other project coordinators and their officers to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Setting job description for new project(s) staff as well as setting new projects on organizational operating system.
- Perform the Team Manager role, unless appointed to another person(s).
- Support in designing appropriate program interventions based on the outcomes of assessments and the context.
- Ensure that issues of gender, disability inclusion, DRR, and conflict sensitivity are factored into the program design.
- Perform any other project related duties as specified by the Deputy Emergency Response Manager
- Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Support the preparation of reports for domestic and international consumption.
- Provide timely responses concerning queries linked with relevant projects or programmes.
- Report to Deputy Emergency Response Manager;
- Provide support to Plan International Nigeria’s programme delivery and resource mobilization.
- Work with other members of the programme units to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- University degree or equivalent in Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, or related fields
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience working in emergency settings, project management and budget management
- Strong knowledge of core principles of children rights, participation, do no harm principles, as well as children in emergencies minimum standards
- Experience working with IDPs, refugees and other vulnerable populations
- Good knowledge and understanding of sphere and core humanitarian standards
- Experience with participatory approaches to emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, and other related area.
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail
- Excellent written and spoken English with good command of Hausa language appropriately
- Excellent understanding of SAP application and program set-up
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organizational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning.
- Provides good and adequate administrative and logistical support to enable programmes to meet it’s agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
Physical Environment and Demands:
- Travel extensively to lead and supervise programme activities
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline 11th February, 2021.