The Mines Advisory Group (MAG) is a global humanitarian and advocacy organisation that finds, removes and destroys landmines, cluster munitions and unexploded bombs from places affected by conflict.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager
Scale: PSM 5
Line Managed by: Regional Programmes Manager
Responsible for Line Managing: National Staff as Identified
The Project Manager will provide senior level support to the Regional Programmes Manager (RPM) with a wide range of externally and internally facing strategic and programme management responsibilities in the country or countries identified. This will include:
- Develop effective relationships and networks with stakeholders including national and local authorities, donors, UN agencies, national partners, NGO forums, wider NGO, community and commercial operators in the region
- Responsible for representation of MAG at country level meetings across wide range of stakeholders
- Support the RPM in identifying and pursuing opportunities to expand MAG programmes activities in new locations within the country/countries
- Responsible for national partners project management and implementation where delegated
- Responsible for external programme communications when delegated
- Assist the RPM in providing effective representation to donors, local authorities, partners, NGO forums and other stakeholders relevant to MAG’s Sahel West Africa’s response to ensure that MAG’s mission, values and specific project objectives are clearly understood and supported.
- Across the countries defined, act as a focal point for MAG representation for all relevant stakeholders together with other key senior staff members.
- Inform the RPM of any potential problems related to external relationships and provide pro-active solutions to action.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with external stakeholders
- Ensure all relevant parties are kept informed of MAG activities as appropriate
Human Resources, Management and Training:
- In conjunction with the RPM, to be responsible for staffing of the project, ensuring adequate international and national staff coverage.
- Recruit and manage national staff in project locations in conjunction with technical management staff and coordinate the induction of new staff
- Line management of staff in line with MAG international staff policies and procedures
- Maintain leave and HR records.
- Ensure contracts, terms & conditions and salaries of project national staff are in line with the labour laws and any other relevant legislation in country.
Grant and Donor Management:
- Ensure contractual compliance with project donors
- Undertake risk assessment for all new projects in the area for sign off by the Leadership Team (LT) at MAG HQ
- Responsible for all proposals and reports for the project
- Ensure regular flow of photos and case studies from project to HQ.
- Proactively identify and pursue new opportunities to maximize MAG’s impact in the region and ensure continuity and stability.
- Support the RPM in identifying and pursuing opportunities to expand MAG programme activities in new locations
- Support the RPM in identifying and pursuing opportunities to improve the quality of MAG programming in areas of operation.
- Assist the RPM with detailed stakeholder mapping and analysis for the country/ies to support business development.
- Manage procurement of equipment in line with project requirements, licensing and donor restrictions, in conjunction with Regional and HQ procurement teams. Ensure smooth running and timely response to logistics issues
- Ensure inventories correct and up to date
- In coordination with relevant colleagues, coordinate, maintain and manage effective relationships with national partners
- In coordination with relevant colleagues oversee and manage the project implementation of national partners
- Ensure coordination with programme and finance staff in the supervision, evaluation and monitoring of partnership projects and sub-grants
- Negotiate and implement MoUs with partners as required, and prepare technical agreements per project, with support from the TOM and the Programme Development & Support Unit.
Contract Management & Reporting:
- Ensure that robust information management, data collection and reporting systems are in place as delegated.
- Ensure that all activities are implemented in line with donor requirements and in accordance with MAG, country and international standards, rules and regulations.
All International staff are expected to undertake the following general duties:
- Work within the framework of MAG’s core values, promoting its ethos and mission statement.
- Work towards achieving programme and/or department business plan objectives
- Undertake the role in a manner appropriate to the cultural context and within the local legal framework.
- Understand and uphold the standards outlined in MAG’s Safeguarding Framework, acting with due care and attention to safeguard the wellbeing of anyone that comes into contact with MAG’s work and reporting concerns if they do arise.
- Ensure familiarity with and adhere to all MAG policies and procedures and keep informed of MAG activities
- Undertake and apply learning from appropriate training and development programmes.
- Undertake role in developing countries and areas in conflict where standards of living may be basic.
- This is a non contractual document that can be varied from time to time as circumstances dictate.
- This job description is intended to summarize the main duties and responsibilities of the post; this is not intended to be a full and exhaustive list of tasks. All MAG staff are expected to demonstrate flexibility and willingness to perform appropriate tasks when the need arises.
- Some Job Descriptions may be supplemented by specific Terms of Reference.
- Master’s Degree in Project Management, International studies, Administration or related field, or equivalent knowledge gained through practical experience
- Significant experience in working in development and humanitarian program related field operation or field activities in developing countries
- Proven expertise in the development of new business, including proposal development, networking and contract negotiations
- Experience of having developed successful relationships and negotiated with donors, government bodies, other NGOs and local partners
- Experience of producing high quality donor reports and proposals.
- Experience of working overseas on development/humanitarian projects
- Experience of developing and supporting projects including implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation and contract compliance
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels internally and externally
- Strong writing skills to be able to write proposals, budgets and reports etc
- Strong representation, communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to coordinate multiple activities sometimes with conflicting deadlines
- Proven ability to motivate and develop a team
- Effective financial management skills
- Fluency in English and French (reading, written and spoken).
- Proactive, flexible and positive approach to work with the ability to find creative solutions to challenges
- Determined and committed to high quality standards
- Self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic approach to work
- Ability to work independently and operate alone
- Ability and willingness to live and work in a potentially insecure and politically sensitive environment requiring diplomacy
- Able to undertake frequent travel within the region.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels internally and externally
- Ability to meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure and manage own stress
- Ability to represent and promote MAG
- Ability and willingness to work with uncertainly and demonstrate good judgment
- Experience of working in a humanitarian emergency response situation
- Experience in Humanitarian Mine Action / Weapons and Arms Management
- Experience of MAG systems and procedures.
MAG staff are rewarded with a range of benefits
- Salary: The starting salary package for this position is £45,504 per annum, (approx. $60,080) and this increases with service.
- Accommodation: MAG will provide accommodation in-country.
- Leave: We recognise our staff work hard and need the appropriate time out to stay motivated.
- Flights: MAG provides three international flights home per year
- Insurance: All international staff are automatically covered by MAG’s comprehensive insurance package including: Personal accident and medical expenses insurance; Death by natural causes insurance and access to 24-hour medical assistance including evacuation and repatriation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click here to Apply
- As part of MAG’s commitment to safeguarding, this post is subject to background checks before an offer of employment is confirmed.
- Due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are not able to respond to every application. If you have not heard back from us within three weeks of applying, it means that your application has not been successful.
Application Deadline 6th December, 2021.
we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.