The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Logistics Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno Mission Nigeria
Administrative Reporting: Project Coordinator.
Technical Line Reporting: Logistic Coordinator.
Supervision: Logistics team including.
The humanitarian crisis in Nigeria’s northeast and the Lake Chad region is one of the most severe ongoing crises in the world, now entering in its ninth year and shows no sign of abating. In 2018, at least 7.7 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance in the worst affected states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe, while more than 1.6 million people remained internally displaced in these three states in November 2017. 86% of internally displaced persons (IDPs) do not believe that the current context allows for a safe and dignified return, and nearly 1 in 4 IDPs have expressed their intent to settle in their current place of displacement instead of returning (OCHA HRP 2018).
An estimated 440,000 children under the age of 5 are malnourished across the 3 most-affected States (HRP, February 2018), while 47% of them are in Borno State (207,521 SAM children, HPC Nutrition Figures, November 2017). Furthermore, The Nigerian Cadre Harmonisé (November 2017) states that in Borno State alone 1,575,414 individuals were facing critical food insecurity. The Maiduguri Metropolitan Center (MC) and Jere Local Government Authority (LGA) are still categorized as “in food crisis” by the IPC (Integrated Food Security Phase Classification).
In 2017, ALIMA continued to implement projects in Muna Garage in Jere LGA, where ALIMA performs general consultations for children under 5 and provides Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) to pregnant and lactating women (antenatal and postnatal consultations). ALIMA partners with UNFPA to manage victims of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV). An Outpatient Therapeutic Feeding Program (OTP) is also available for children under 5 suffering from severe acute malnutrition (SAM) in the clinic, where women and caretakers are trained to screen their children for malnutrition using the MUAC tape.
In Maiduguri MC, where ALIMA is working in partnership with the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH), the Inpatient Therapeutic Feeding Center (ITFC) manages children under 5 suffering from SAM with medical complications in a 30-bed capacity building.
In the same way, ALIMA has continued working in Monguno in 2017 in 5 IDP camps (GGSS, GSSS, GDSS, Kuya, and Waterboard), in local host communities (Gana Ali, Abari, Bakassi) and in the Maternal and Child Health Center (MCH). In Monguno, ALIMA was the lead agency for the nutrition sector. In the IDP camps and in the host communities, ALIMA delivers primary health care and OTP to children under 5. In the MCH, ALIMA provides sexual and reproductive care including Basic Emergency Obstetric and Newborn care. Based in Monguno, a rapid response team conducted an emergency intervention in Baga and Doro towns (Kukawa LGA) in November 2017 to provide emergency OPD, OTP and SRH in 2 sites. The emergency team also responded to cholera outbreak from August to November 2017 in Maiduguri and Monguno, joining its efforts and coordinating its actions with the State Ministry of Health and partners.
In January 2018, ALIMA in partnership with Borno state government via ministry of rehabilitation, Ministry of Health and Hospital management board start the 3 years’ early recovery project funded by DEU and will be implemented in 4 LGA, Askira-Uba, Hawul, Ngala and Monguno focusing on strengthening of health staff capacity and rehabilitation of hospital and PHC.
ALIMA’s teams in Nigeria represents 324 National staff and 35 expatriates.
Protection of Beneficiaries and Members of the Community
- Level 3: The incumbent will have contact with children or / and vulnerable adults either frequently (for example, once a week or more), or regularly (e.g. four days in a month or more or overnight) because he or she works in national programs, or because he visits national programs, or because he is responsible for implementing the recruitment process; Therefore, a criminal record check or the presentation of a certificate of good life and manners will be required. In situations where the impossibility of providing a criminal record or a certificate of good life and manners is found, a statement of honor will be requested.
Mission and Main Activities
- Plan, coordinate and monitor all logistics related activities in the project area including all non-medical assistance related activities (shelter, food, water hygiene-sanitation and essential non-food items) and provide support to medical assistance activities, according to ALIMA standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the project.
- Support the growing activities of the Project with the resources, procedures and tools defined with the Logistics Coordinator, in order to facilitate achievement of the operational objectives
- The Project Logistics reports directly to the Project Coordinator in the field, and to the Logistics Coordinator as well (technical referents).
- He / She supervises a logistics team in the project including Logistics Supervisor, purchaser and storekeeper
- In collaboration with the Project Team and the Logistics Coordinator, define, implement and monitor logistics activities and objectives based on the ALIMA strategic planning, standards and protocols.
This involves the following tasks:
He / She:
- Responsible to ensure implementation of the technical SOPs, policies of logistics / security procedures in the Project areas / zones according to ALIMA standard Logistics & Security Guidelines.
- Involved with the Project Coordinator in Mapping / Identification of the local actors within the area of intervention: local authorities, NGOs, etc. to ensure good relationship with all the actors
- Responsible to coordinates, organizes, supervises, coach and supports logistics team members’ performance to improve the logistics components of the project.
- Responsible to plan and supervise, in close collaboration with the Project Coordination, the associated processes (recruitment, training, induction, performance evaluation, development of skills and internal / external communication) of the project logistics staff in order to ensure the required performance and achieving goals,
- Shall ensure implementation, manage and monitor the necessary reporting tools for logistics activities
- Responsible to ensure the implementation of support (communications, electricity, transport, IT) and any other logistical activities required to achieve the medical objectives (construction / restoration, water & sanitation, Cold Chain, etc.)
- Responsible to manage and monitor the material resources for the Project, under the supervision of the Project Coordinator and the Logistics Coordinator.
- Responsible to ensure installations and maintenance of functional office space and lodging facilities in the project in an adequate living conditions as well as all the equipment required with a support from the Logistics team at the field and from ALIMA Coordination team
- Responsible for the asset, Inventory, fleet, stock, Contracts & follow up, vendors and price lists management of the project.
- Responsible to ensure an appropriate supply chain for the Project with the direct support of the Supply Chain Manager of the coordination.
- Responsible to compiles the quantitative logistics data (consummations, stocks, distributions) and analyses them before transmission to the project coordinator and the Logistics coordinator in monthly reporting.
- Participate in exploratory mission’s / situation assessments and define logistics operational priorities when needed
- Participate in the development of the project proposal and project budget review.
- Ensure weekly / bimonthly and monthly Logistics reports as per ALIMA standards Guidelines.
- To follow up Action Plan settings.
- Implementation of preventive measures against abuse of power, gender-based and sexual violence:
- Participate in training and awareness sessions
- Applies standards relating to the prevention of abuse
- Ensures that his team members follow training and awareness sessions and apply standards relating to the prevention of abuse
- Contributes to creating and maintaining a fulfilling and protective environment.
Experience and Skills
- University degree in Logistics, Supply or any other relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in humanitarians Logistics supply management, with role of internal Procurement compliance.
- Experience with a medical international NGO, an asset.
- Strong Team management and supervision skills.
- Strong leadership qualities
- Perfect knowledge of MS Office package, especially Excel & Word
- Rigorous, stress resistant, good adaptation capacity and capacity of meeting deadlines.
- Communications and negotiation skills
- Flexibility and proactivity
- English is mandatory (written, read, spoken), French is an asset.
- Contract term: contract under French law, 6 months’ renewable.
- Salary: depending on experience + per diem
ALIMA pays for:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
- Accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
- Evacuation of the employee
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- To apply, please send your CV and Cover Letter using the link above
- N.B : Applications are processed in the order of arrival and we reserve the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated if a good application is successful.
- Only full applications (CV + answer to questions) will be taken into account.
- Only accepted applications will be contacted.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline 19th March, 2021.
- we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.