UN Women – In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Analyst, Spotlight Initiative
Driving license: No
Start Date: Immediate
Duration: 12 months
Description of Task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Programme Specialist- Technical Coherence, Spotlight Initiative or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer Programme Analyst – Ending Violence against Women and Girls will:
Contribute technically to the development and implementation of the Spotlight Women Peace and Humanitarian Fund programme strategies and interventions for the prevention and mitigation of SGBV and Harmful Practices in humanitarian settings:
- Provide assistance to the UN Women Sub-office in Maiduguri (Humanitarian office) for the Women’s Peace and Humanitarian Fund (WPHF)/Spotlight Initiative projects on GBV and for the projects under the WPHF COVID-19 ERW.
- Support activities on EVAWGs/GBV, including contributing to development of policy documents, concept notes, policy reviews, briefing/speaking notes for management, research activities, trainings and capacity building activities targeted to government/CSOs.
- Participate in weekly Spotlight team meetings, monthly and online engagement with partners.
- Contribute to enhancing coordination with the UN Trust Fund on Ending Violence against Women.
- Support implementation of WPHF baseline studies to inform the start-up phase of the programme.
- Monitor and report on the work of WPHF implementing partners against the programme result framework.
- Review the submission of Spotlight WPHF partners’ monthly quarterly activities reports and prepare internal (UN) and donor (EU) reports.
Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on Spotlight Initiative to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country:
- Support the implementation of cross-cutting Spotlight Initiative inter-agency activities
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Provide annual and end of assignment self-reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
Qualifications / Requirements
Required degree level:
- Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Human Rights, Gender / Women’s Studies, International Development, or a related field is required; A first-level university degree in combination with three additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- 36 Months.
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible work experience in development program/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
- Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
- English (Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of Expertise:
- Gender equality and the advancement of women.
Area of Expertise Details:
- Knowledge and experience in providing oversight for implementation of GBV response services, including managing implementation of civil society organizations around EVAW
- Experience in a similar intervention like the Spotlight Initiative is an asset;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
- Have affinity with or interest in Gender Equality and Women Empowerment (GEWE) volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Technological Awareness.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline 7th February, 2021.