Pact West Africa is a Non-Governmental Organization with over a decade of experience working in Nigeria to create thriving, resilient communities that are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact West Africa started operations as Pact Nigeria in 2005, and builds capacity of civil society organizations and improves the livelihoods and health of the poor and marginalized in the society. Pact has 46 staff in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager
Duration: 1 year
- At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future.
- To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant.
- Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more.
- This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
- Pact is recruiting a Program Manager for a one-year project focused on strengthening rural economic development and improving the commercial viability of mini-grids in Niger State and Plateau State, Nigeria by supporting micro-enterprises’ transition from diesel generators to electric motors, mechanize of labor intensive activities, and start new enterprises that productively use energy.
- The project will be implemented from February 01, 2022 – January 31, 2023, with a possibility for extension and expansion. The project manager will oversee the work of two additional full-time staff.
- The project will address four causes of limited demand for energy:
- Limited knowledge of productive use opportunities, including the economics of transitioning from diesel generators to electric motors;
- Limited business skills and financial literacy, which impedes small businesses from assessing the potential of productive use equipment to improve their operations;
- Supply chain and product quality challenges, and
- To a varying extent, lack of financing options for purchasing productive use equipment. With Pact’s support, local economic activity, incomes, and demand for energy will increase, which will positively impact other socio-economic indicators in target villages, while increasing both the number of customers served by mini-grids as well as average revenue per user.
- We envision that with project support, local economic activity, incomes, and demand for energy will increase, which will contribute to broad-based economic growth, while increasing both the number of customers served by mini-grids as well as average revenue per user.
- Lead Pact’s efforts, in partnership with mini-grid developers, to assess the needs of selected communities, conduct introductory meetings in target communities with participation from community leadership and micro-enterprise owners to provide an overview of the project, secure community buy-in, and to establish a baseline understanding of skills, to tailor the trainings appropriately.
- Hire, train and coach a team of two full-time employees: draft job descriptions, review applications, conduct interviews, manage onboarding, set goals and provide ongoing mentorship and management to support the team achieve project objectives.
- Work with community leaders to establish or strengthen Village Electrification Committees (VECs), which manage revolving loan funds.
- Refine the productive use and demand stimulation model through research and comparative analysis, adapting the project design based on the results.
- Supervise the creation of work plans, quarterly and annual reports, and external writing summarizing project results and evidence. Prepare regular reports documenting processes, outputs, and outcomes of work.
- Coordinate Pact’s efforts to provide training and support to micro-enterprises, which will include technical assistance specific to the need (i.e., diesel conversion or new productive use equipment) and business type (i.e., agricultural, industrial, or commercial).
- Assess the market of locally available electric motors and productive use equipment through discussions with original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and identify quality products that match the needs and productive use opportunities identified by participating communities.
- Utilize Pact’s proven revolving loan approach to offer financing for those micro-enterprises that require a loan to purchase new equipment or electric motors.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 10 years of experience OR Master’s degree and 8 years of experience in project management, energy, livelihoods, business administration, capacity development, or other relevant areas.
- Possess a deep understanding of, and connections to, the communities we serve.
- Strong writing and oral presentation skills, including fluency in English.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently to Niger and Plateau States.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with governments and civil society partners.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal and creative problem-solving skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Resume / CV and Cover Letter on their suitability to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. All CV / Resume / Applications Letter MUST be in either MS Word format or PDF.
- Applicants MUST indicate the position applied for as the SUBJECT of the mail.
- Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Open To: All qualified candidates
- Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors
Application Deadline 10th December, 2021.
we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.