The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Associate
Job ID: 35961
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – PROCUREMENT
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
The nexus of security-humanitarian-development issues around Lake Chad has given rise to an intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced, and more than 10 million people in the region affected and in need. While robust national and multi-national military operations have re-taken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, UNDP recognizes that a new approach is required to consolidate these gains and establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security, and from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes. In this context, the UNDP is strengthening its presence in the North East region by establishing a sub-office in Maiduguri. The sub-office will serve as the centre of operations for programming which will include a Regional Stabilization Facility, a Disengagement, Disassociation, Reconciliation and Reintegration (DDRR) and Recovery and Resilience programme. The Sub-Office (SO) for North East (NE) Region of Nigeria has been operational since 2017 and UNDP has established an Operations Service Centre to support management and operations functions related to the effective delivery of programmatic results.
Under the guidance and supervision of Procurement Specialist, the Procurement Associate ensures execution of transparent and efficient procurement services and processes in CO. The Procurement Associate promotes a client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
The Procurement Associate will report to Procurement Specialist under overall guidance by Service Centre Manager (SCM) in North East Sub-Office in Maiduguri. The Procurement Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex procurement-related issues and information exchange.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Organization of procurement processes
- Implementation of sourcing strategy
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures implementation of the operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control.
- CO Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Logistics in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management
Organizes procurement processes for CO, NEX/DEX projects and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects and their implementation monitoring.
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Presentation of reports on procurement in the CO.
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Implementation of joint procurement processes for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
- Manage ATLAS tools, including creation-tracking-closing of POs, payment to suppliers and reporting tools on procurement.
- Preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in and outside Atlas, preparation of Recurring Purchase orders for contracting of services, vendors’ creation in Atlas. Buyers profile in Atlas.
- Preparation of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
Ensures implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Development and update of the rosters of suppliers, implementation of supplier selection and evaluation.
- Support implementation of the e-procurement system.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Procurement.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall execution of the Sub-Office procurement services and success in implementation of operational strategies.
- Accurate analysis and presentation of procurement information, duly organized procurement processes ensure client satisfaction and overall timely delivery of UNDP Sub-Office programmes and projects.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Experience:
- Secondary Education with minimum 6 years of work experience, or Bachelor’s degree with minimum 3 years, or Masters’degree with 0 experience.
- Progressive administrative experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)and experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
- Knowledge of Atlas or other ERP system would be an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other UN and/or national language of the duty station is an asset
- Level 3: Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others:
- Actively engages teams and encourages dialogue within and across teams
- Determines appropriate resources, methods, partners, information and solutions.
Communication and Relationship Management:
- Level 3: Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation:
- Proactively expresses insights and / or questions in order to contribute to clarity, accuracy, and focus in one’s work
- Speaks on behalf of team with professionalism and integrity consistent with UN values.
- Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs:
- Interprets policies and guidance within context and applies with judgment
- Anticipates obstacles and applies practical solutions
- Continually seeks improvement and agility in service delivery
- Collaborates to improve methods and delivery.
- Level 3: Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making:
- Seeks and values other’s initiatives and expertise
- Supervises teams with consistent direction and drives team engagement.
- Level 3: Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value:
- Demonstrates commitment to clients and quality
- Works to agreed goals dealing with challenges constructively
- Responsible for project implementation and/or team deliverables
- Ability to exercise sound judgement in delivering services and supervising teams
- Demonstrating / safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important applicant information / Notice
- All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
- Applicant information about UNDP rosters
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Qualified females are strongly encouraged to apply
- UNDP Procurement Certification programme.
- For Nigerian Nationals ONLY
Application Deadline 25th March, 2021 (Midnight New York, USA).
- we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.