Job Title: Principal Water Supply and Sanitation Officer (RDGC2)
Location: Libreville, Gabon
Position N°: 50066100
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs and activities.
- The RDVP ensures that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Members Countries (RMCs) and oversees the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
- The Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex (AHVP) leads in implementing two of the five goals, namely “Feed Africa” and “Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa”.
- The Complex comprises five departments: (i) Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development; (ii) Agriculture Finance and Rural Development; (iii) Gender, Women and Civil Society; (iv) Water Development and Sanitation; and, (v) Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development.
The Hiring Department / Division(s):
- The Water Development and Sanitation Department (AHWS) is responsible for the coordination of the Bank’s water development and sanitation-related activities to enhance synergies and contribute to achievement of all High 5s.
- The Department consists of three Divisions: AHWS.1 for water coordination and partnerships, and AHWS.2 for water security and sanitation, as well as the African Water Facility (AWF).
- AHWS leads the preparation and implementation of water sector Non-Sovereign Operations (NSOs). It also supports regional hubs in operations and in the development and promotion of new knowledge, approaches and tools for green and inclusive water resources development and management, and for improved sanitation. In so doing, the Department leads the scaling-up of the Bank’s contribution to Africa’s efforts to attain water security and sanitation for sustainable socio-economic transformation.
The position of Principal Water Supply and Sanitation Officer based in Gabon has the following objectives:
- Contribute to attainment of national / regional water and sanitation agenda and related objectives of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including ensuring universal access to water and sanitation and improving water quality to enhance the quality of life for the people;
- Liaise with stakeholders in the RMCs, work closely with regional platforms and other complexes dealing with water issues, while contributing to the appropriate management of technical knowledge and guidance on affordable water supply services and sanitation technologies and approaches;
- Provide assistance to RMCs in understanding and applying Bank Group’s operational procedures relating to loan administration, and procurement of goods and services.
- Develop and manage the portfolio in the sub-region in accordance with the Bank’s policy by identifying projects and consulting with governments, the various stakeholders in RMCs and other Technical and Financial Partners (TFPs).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Sector Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Provide technical advice / assistance to RMCs to develop their water and sanitation sector;
- Contribute to the development of the Bank Group Water and Sanitation Sector policy and provide technical advice / guidance to introduce and monitor the implementation of the policy.
- Identify, prepare and evaluate water and sanitation projects and programmes, together with multisector projects and programmes in Gabon and central region;
- Identify and coordinate the co-financing needs of the country / region’s projects / programmes and make funding proposals;
- Supervise portfolio projects in accordance with Bank rules and procedures;
- Perform project completion missions with a view to preparing project completion reports;
- Conduct project preparation and appraisal missions in the water and sanitation sector;
- Provide guidance in the region to supervise staff, monitor the portfolio, the loan programme and the Division’s indicators;
- Support the Manager of Division in monitoring and achieving the target indicators, and in monitoring projects managed by other colleagues;
- Represent the Division and the Department in meetings and events related to the water and sanitation sector within the Bank, and externally;
- At least a Master’s or equivalent degree in Civil Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Civil Engineering, Water Supply, Sanitation, or related discipline. Knowledge of project management is an asset for the position;
- Minimum six (6) years of proven and relevant professional experience in monitoring and managing water and sanitation projects, especially in Africa;
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of the activities of other multilateral and bilateral institutions that finance the water and sanitation sector;
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of the challenges of the water and sanitation sector, and ability to support RMCs in designing appropriate projects and programmes in the sector;
- Show good professional experience in water and sanitation project development, and technical support for projects;
- Possess strong experience working in a multicultural environment and leading project preparation and appraisal teams;
- Demonstrate strong ability to build and lead motivated and committed teams for project preparation and evaluation;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language
- Proficiency in the use of common Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint etc.); Knowledge of SAP is an advantage.
Application Closing Date
25th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
• We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
• Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
• We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
• Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview