The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Picture Editor, West Africa Deployments
Job Reference: BBC/TP/653414/51631
Contract Type: Fixed term
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – W2020 Africa
- Create television output by assessing material against productions’ editorial and presentation requirements. Edit the available material to meet these requirements and transmission, publishing or production deadlines and the professional standards required by the BBC.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Work with producers and / or reporters, or to a script, brief or outline of the requirements and the story’s content. Liaise with reporters on script ideas, story structuring, ordering and subsequent use of library material alongside sync selection and picture treatments.
- Record incoming pictures and sound from all sources, including rushes, outside broadcasts (OBs), agency feeds, satellite, regions and studios.
- Provide relevant material necessary for graphic effect (GFX) creation and help develop the most efficient work flow for GFX sequences to be included in packages.
- Create and develop visual effects treatments,
- Work closely with the production to appreciate Producer’s intentions and provide edited material.
- Complete all necessary paperwork and administrative tasks.
- Select pictures and sound and help with the selection of sync and spot appropriate up-sounds.
- Ensure a successful editing process by keeping producers informed and advise senor editorial figures of any issues.
- Re-edit as required, log recorded shots and complete editing process.
- Plan editing sessions and employ appropriate editing techniques.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of craft editing and television production techniques.
- Relevant experience as a Broadcast Journalist
- Knowledge of transmission procedures and talkback techniques.
- Experience in recording and transmitting pictures and sound in all broadcast formats.
- Understanding of the systems that support edit platforms e.g. FCPX, Dira, OpenMedia, Jupiter and File Transfer.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken.
- Problem solving and be proactive in achieving editorial objectives with limited resources.
- Demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives.
- Able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others.
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Able to get ones message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups
- Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing emotionsin the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations.
- Ability to present sound and well–reasoned arguments to convince others.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
• We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
• Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
• We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
• Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Application Deadline 5th January, 2021