The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Pharm Procurement Officer – HERON
Requisition ID: req11572
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The Global Supply Chain Department supports the organization’s work by providing reliable and scalable application development and Operations for the IRC’s offices in the US and around the world, in the aspect of procurement, assets, inventory and management of the IRC’s GSC policies.
- Under the direct supervision of the Pharmacy Manager, technical referent to Senior Pharmacy Manager and technical oversight of Senior Supply Chain Manager, the Pharmaceutical Procurement Officer will be based in Maiduguri and will provide support to field Health and Supply chain staff in the following areas:
- Responsible for evaluating suppliers, pharmaceutical products, and services, negotiating contracts, and ensuring that approved purchases are cost-efficient and of high quality
Policies, Procedures and Coordination:
- Ensures that Pharmaceutical products are only ordered from IRC validated suppliers and/or donor recommended suppliers. Depending on the kind of supplier and the kind of validation, different specifications or pre-requisites must be specified when ordering
- Ensures that the supplier is listed in IRC’s list of approved suppliers and/or is recommended by the donor of the program or confirm with the country pharmacist or SC manager
- Coordinate with field supply chain, programs, and finance on Pharmaceutical supply chain-related issues.
- Ensure that IRC Supply Chain field office monitoring and control standards for Abuja office are met.
- Ensures that the supplier meets donor and/or IRC requirements as per IRC pharmaceutical products ordering SOP
- Ensure goods are delivered in timely manner and in good conditions
- Issue and follow up on purchase Orders to Pharmaceutical vendors
- Follow up all commercial issues of quality problems and claims with the supplier’s sales department.
- Purchase requested items and quantities according to purchasing policies.
- Routine communication, coordination and planning with the relevant requesting staff / programs regarding the order and delivery of supplies.
- Ensuring that all Supplies, services and equipment required are delivered in time
- Establish and maintain supplier files (except documents related to quality assurance).
- Submit weekly reports with updates on status of Pharmaceutical procurement.
- Establish selection tables of validated products from validated pharmaceutical suppliers and select products based on prices, availability, delivery lead time and desired dosage forms and strengths
- Communications with suppliers on all above issues.
- Participates in assessment of product samples for training purposes to increase her/his knowledge about products and quality standards.
- Manage the timely payment of vendors for delivered Pharmaceuticals
- Coordination with Finance and program departments to ensure integrated internal controls, timely procurement of goods & services and full, auditable support documentation.
- Ensuring that a transparent and responsive procurement process is implemented and maintained.
Logistics / Operations:
- Assist program and admin staff in working effectively to improve planning and resource utilization.
- Ensure delivered shipments are cleared on time and delivered to respective field sites.
- Maintain knowledge of local government requirements related to supply chain matters and ensure compliance with legal requirements on tax exemption and customs clearance.
- Responsible for tracking and monitoring movements of international Pharmaceutical procurement
- Other relevant duties as assigned as requested by Supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Pharmacy manager consortium
- Position directly supervises: Supply chain assistants
- Indirect Reporting: Senior pharmacy manager
- technical referent: Senior pharmacy manager
The requirements should establish a baseline (minimum) for educational background, previous work experience, professional knowledge or certification, specific skills and strengths and any other skill necessary to perform the essential functions of the job:
- Bachelor Degree in business management, Pharmacy or related field
- Strong communication and negotiation skills.
- Good analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- Supervisory and management experience.
- Experience in supply chain/logistics qualifications and procurement is an additional advantage
- 2+ years of experience as a Procurement Officer or in a similar position.
- Proficiency in Microsoft excel and purchasing software.
- Attention to detail.
- The position will work in the Abuja Field Office with frequent travel and support to the field, the pharma procurement officer must have high level of flexibility and strength to be able to work under pressure and meets date lines
Strength / Skills:
- Able to work in a high-pressure situation, solve problems and resolve conflicts.
- Able to independently organize work, prioritize tasks and manage time.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to coach and support others
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluent in written and spoken English
- Advanced computer skills (MS word, excel, PowerPoint, and outlook). Competency in database and GPS and asset
we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply