The United Nations is the one international organization with the reach and vision capable of solving global problems. The United Nations Foundation links the UN’s work with others around the world, mobilizing the energy and expertise of business and non-governmental organizations to help the UN tackle issues including climate change, global health, peace and security, women’s empowerment, poverty eradication, energy access, and U.S.-UN relations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer
Job Opening Number: 21-Programme Management-GCO-168324-R-Abuja (X)
Department / Office: Global Compact Office
Staffing Exercise: N/A
- This position is located in Local Networks team, Global Compact Office in Africa (Abuja). The Programme Officer (Regional Office, Abuja) reports to the Senior Programme Officer, Local Networks.
- The incumbent of this post will contribute towards the development and delivery of the UN Global Compact Strategy for the African region.
- The United Nations Global Compact is the United Nations’ voluntary corporate sustainability initiative in the areas of human rights, labour, the environment, and anti-corruption.
- It revolves around ten universal principles drawn from four key international instruments in these areas. The Global Compact Office is the United Nations entity responsible for the overall management and coordination of the Global Compact initiative.
- It pursues two complementary objectives: (1) making the Global Compact and its principles part of business strategy and operations everywhere; and (2) facilitating cooperation among key stakeholders by promoting partnerships and collective action in support of United Nations, and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer (Regional Office, Abuja) will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develops, implements and evaluates programmes/projects with a focus on the collaboration with the United Nations country teams and regional offices of United Nations organizations across the African region, including by facilitating collaboration between Local Networks, United Nations country teams and the local business communities, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation with an aim to create greater awareness of the United Nations Global Compact Office across the African region and recruit additional participants for the initiatives; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions, including supporting the engagement of government representatives across the African region through facilitation of collaboration between Local Networks and the respective national and sub-national governments; liaises with relevant parties, including collaboration with Global Compact Networks across the African region, managing any issues related to governance or integrity in close collaboration with colleagues in the Global Compact Office in New York; ensures follow-up actions.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Develops and delivers programmatic activities planned specifically for the African region; provides support to Global Compact Networks in delivering on global programmes.
- Performs consulting assignments, planning and facilitating workshops and delivering training and capacity building of Global Compact Networks across the African region.
- Performs other duties, as required.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent Degree) in Business Administration, Management, Economics or a related field.
- A first-level University Degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, business administration or a related area is required.
- Experience in working with business and sustainability, the Ten Principles and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) within the African region is desirable.
- Experience working within or together with the United Nations or other similar international organization, is desirable.
- Experience managing strategic alliances is desirable.
- Experience in resource mobilization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position fluency in English and French is required.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular corporate sustainability in the African region.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems.
- Ability to conduct data collection using various methods.
- Knowledge of key trends related to corporate sustainability in the respective region. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Appointment or assignment against this position is for an initial period of one year.
- This is an extrabudgetary funded position. The appointment or assignment and renewal therefore are subject to the availability of the post or funds, budgetary approval or extension of the mandate.
- The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance and geographical diversity in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Application Deadline 2nd February, 2022.
we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.