Breakthrough ACTION Nigeria is a five-year USAID funded project that encourages people to adopt healthier behaviors through innovative approaches to social and behavior change (SBC) implemented by the Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Program (CCP). Breakthrough ACTION Nigeria’s COVID-19 portfolio includes works in over 15 countries around the world to plan, implement, and evaluate SBC interventions that support planning and implementation of COVID-19 strategies and plans, coordination of COVID-19 vaccination stakeholders, and strategic risk communication related to COVID-19
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring Officer 1 (Global Position)
Location: Abuja (FCT)
General Summary / Purpose
- The Monitoring Officer I (MO 1) provides technical support to monitoring and evaluation activities for domestic and international programs implemented by CCP, with guidance from higher R&E level staff.
- This MO I will be tasked with supporting the Breakthrough ACTION (BA) COVID-19 prevention and vaccine promotion portfolio. BA is a five-year USAID funded project that encourages people to adopt healthier behaviors through innovative approaches to social and behavior change (SBC) implemented by the Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Program (CCP).
- BA’s COVID-19 portfolio includes works in over 15 countries around the world to plan, implement, and evaluate SBC interventions that support planning and implementation of COVID-19 strategies and plans, coordination of COVID-19 vaccination stakeholders, and strategic risk communication related to COVID-19. In order to monitor BA’s work and relevant health concerns around the world, it has developed a global monitoring system based in DHIS2 that monitors the implementation of its COVID-19-related efforts.
- Individuals in the Monitoring Officer I position have basic knowledge and experience in program monitoring designs, performance monitoring plans, electronic data collection, data visualization platforms, and analysis using analytical software. With support from higher-level monitoring and R&E staff, the Monitoring Officer I develops monitoring tools, develops and maintains MEL databases, and analyzes and interprets MEL data.
- The Monitoring Officer I could travel internationally to deliver short-term technical assistance (STTA), with support from higher-level R&E staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Theory, Frameworks & Models:
- Demonstrates knowledge of public health, communication and/or social psychological theories.
- Contributes to application of SBCC theory and models to RMEL studies and monitoring plans w/Support.
Research & Evaluation:
- Support the development of R&E designs to fit the local context and programs based on monitoring data w/Support
- Coordinates technical input from in-country MEL staff w/Support
- Develops drafts of MEL quantitative and qualitative data collection tools w/Support
- Coordinates the development of program partners’ monitoring data collection tools w/Support
- Develops mobile and electronic data collection tools w/Support
- Develops drafts of RFP for MEL data collection and reviews competitive proposals w/Support
- Develops and implements field training w/Support
- Coordinates MEL data collection and quality assurance in the field per approved IRB protocol w/Support
- Contributes to the development of MEL reports and manuscripts (includes scientific writing) presentations, posters, blogs and other products, using writing that is accurate, clear with logical flow, and appropriate for different audiences, w/Support
- Develops data visualization resources including from virtual dashboards for reports and other products w/Support
- Presents MEL findings at external and internal meetings and conferences w/Support
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL):
- Develops MEL plans and IRB protocols w/Direction
- Operationalizes MEL plans (including virtual dashboards) and IRB protocols w/Support
- Implements MEL plans and data quality assurance w/Support
MEL Data Analysis:
- Analyzes MEL data for program feedback and reporting Independently
- Updates monitoring design to adjust to program changes while keeping an integrated system, independently
Statistics and Analysis:
- Conducts and/or supervises MEL data cleaning and data preparation for analysis (includes integrating partners’ data into dashboard), independently
- Performs quantitative analysis using statistical software (EXCEL, STATA, SPSS) and/or or dashboard analytics (includes GIS mapping) and interpretation, independently
- Conducts and/or supervises MEL data preparation and codebook development for analysis, independently
- Performs qualitative analysis of MEL data using software (Atals.ti. Nvivo, Deddose and others) and/or dashboard analytics and interpretation, independently
- Leads the MEL section of proposal development (including draft text and PMP) w/Support
Leadership and Professional Development:
- Participates in internal CCP, R&E and MEL learning activities (includes staff meeting, CoP, StratComm, TIPS, others)
- Manages students and temporary staff, independently
- Manages working groups w/Support
- Participates and shares learning opportunities that advance R&E and MEL skills within diverse communication and public health areas
- Presents at Research in Practice Brown bags, independently
Collaboration and Communication:
- Seeks input from team members (in country, HQ) to develop comprehensive MEL plans and documents, independently
- Other duties may be assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory)
- Master’s Degree (MPH, MSPH, MS) in Communication, Public Health, or related Behavioural Science with at least 3 years of program monitoring experience. At least one year is relevant international experience.
- Doctoral Degree (PhD, DrPH, ScD) in Communication, Public Health, or related Behavioural Science with one year of monitoring experience.
- Special knowledge, skills, and abilities: language skills a plus (particularly French and/or Spanish) and solid knowledge of mobile data collection applications as well as data visualization platforms such as DHIS2.
- Technical qualifications or specialized certifications: Qualified in mobile and web data collection and visualization platforms.
- Any specific physical requirements for the job: International travel as needed.
- Supervisory responsibility (indicate the number and type of persons supervised by incumbent): Oversees country-level monitoring officers as well as local consultants.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
- Any specific physical requirements for the job:
- Supervisory responsibility (indicate the number and type of persons supervised by incumbent):
- Budget authority (indicate dollar amount of budget managed and type/level of authority):
- Responsible to provide budget estimates for M&E activities in each country of his/her responsibility and to keep within budget when implementing such activities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Candidates should click the link and complete the questions therein.
- CV should be in PDF format saved with the candidate’s full name
Application Deadline 6th October, 2021.
we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.