ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer-term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 18million people, responding to emergencies, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Junior Assessment Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno,
Employment Type: Full-time
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis and GIS. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, enabling IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support in its fields of intervention.
- IMPACT is seeking a candidate, with experience designing and implemented quantitative and qualitative assessments, to support REACH’s Multi-Sectoral Needs Assessment Team. Tasks will include supporting the full research cycle including consolidation of secondary data, engagement with humanitarian partners, selection of indicators, creation of analysis tools, coordination of data collection, data analysis, and output production.
The REACH Assessment Officer will fulfill the following functions:
- Under the supervision of the Assessment Officer and Inter-sectoral Unit Research Manager in Nigeria and of IMPACT’s HQ in Geneva, the REACH Junior Assessment Officer will support the research design and implementation of REACH-specific assessments, including their preparation, implementation, analysis, report writing and follow-up.
- S / he will also support related logistics, partner coordination, reporting, and finance requirements and will be required to provide input to the strategic development of REACH in country.
- In his / her mission, the REACH Junior Assessment Officer will be hosted by ACTED and will fall under the responsibility of ACTED’s Country Director and his / her delegates.
- S / he and will fully abide to ACTED’s Security, HR, Administration and Logistics rules and regulations.
The REACH Junior Assessment Officer’s responsibilities include:
- In coordination with the Research Manager and Assessment Officer, designing and implementing REACH assessment strategy and research cycle;
- Support in organizing and facilitating joint analysis workshops, as applicable;
- Support the analysis and presentation of data using excel, R, tableau and other software.
- Ensure the writing of timely and accurate assessment reports and factsheets, which comply with REACH’s guidelines;
- Supporting the development/revision of assessment / programme strategies, reports or new proposals;
- For each assessment, create ToRs, ensure that they are approved by management (including Geneva HQ) and the humanitarian co-ordination system (ISWG, AAWG and HCT).
- Facilitate engagement and feedback on research design with external partners, including clusters, IM focal points and agency representatives;
- Coordinate external partners and internal teams during data collection;
- In coordination with REACH Country Coordinator, external representation of REACH with Donors, Partners and the wider Aid Community through clusters and sectoral working groups; Other tasks falling within REACH’s functions as requested by supervisors.
REACH Assessment Management and Coordination
Objective 1.1: Management of assessments process
- The REACH Junior Assessment Officer is responsible for supporting the design of the methodology and tools associated with each assessment, according to REACH requirements and principles.
- He / she will support the planning, implementation, and follow-up of all REACH and projects specific assessment activities conducted in country.
- In operations in which REACH is a project component of a wider ACTED intervention, the REACH Junior Assessment Officer is required to contribute to the preparation and follow up of the Project Management Framework and ensure that activities are properly coordinated and implemented as per the Project Cycle Management.
- The REACH Junior Assessment Officer shall manage logistics, financial, administration and HR processes directly related to REACH and liaise accordingly with the relevant ACTED counterpart. He/she is responsible for supporting the implementation of proper ACTED FLAT procedures in all REACH interventions.
Objective 1.2: Implementation:
- The REACH Junior Assessment Officer is responsible for contributing to the implementation of assessment projects, providing support to the development of assessment and database and GIS tools with the REACH team. This will specifically include, with the GIS / DB team, designing of data collection tools (household surveys, focus groups, and more) as well as the development, analysis and review of databases.
Objective 1.3: Grants Management:
- The REACH Junior Assessment Officer shall provide technical support to the relevant ACTED department in terms of the preparation of new project proposals, development of programme strategies, implementation of project activities, and any other required REACH input to ACTED projects for added-value.
- The REACH Junior Assessment Officer is responsible for supporting the timely and accurate preparation of narrative and financial reports related to REACH activities in country through close liaison with the Project Development and Finance departments.
- The REACH Junior Assessment Officer shall liaise with other REACH Officers in the region and throughout IMPACT Initiatives’ and ACTED’s networks to provide and receive support in the expansion of REACH globally.
Objective 2.1: Assessment Reporting:
- The REACH Junior Assessment Officer is responsible for supporting the consolidation of all analyses and conclusions from each assessment into REACH products such as factsheets, reports and briefs using standard formats.
- He / she must ensure the writing of timely and accurate assessment reports and factsheets, ensuring the quality and accuracy of technical information provided as well as the confidentiality and protection of collected information.
- He / she will ensure that assessment reports contribute to aid coordination and planning and add to the general base of field knowledge in the country for all organisations working in the areas.
- He / she will liaise with the in country assessment team, Geneva and in-country GIS / DB Officers in order to represent data in interactive web map or static map format, as relevant.
- The REACH Junior Assessment Officer is responsible for supporting the designated timeline of reports to be submitted to project partners and donors.
Objective 2.2: Programmatic Reporting:
- He / she will also support the drafting of narrative reports and contribute to the development of financial reports through regular budgetary follow-up, in coordination with the REACH Country Coordinator.
- The REACH Junior Assessment Officer will also store, organize and disseminate assessments, project documents and best practices among ACTED and IPs. He/she will support timely and accurate reporting to IMPACT Headquarters.
Objective 3.1: Staff Coordination
- The REACH Junior Assessment Officer will liaise on day-to-day management of project and field staff both directly and remotely. He / she is expected to help guide and direct REACH staff and prepare and follow up workplans related to the assessment.
- The REACH Junior Assessment Officer will help ensure that all field teams are comprehensively briefed on the objective, expected outputs and that the overall implementation strategy of any given activity is clearly understood.
- He / she will ensure that project / field staff are given training and support the completion of all the necessary documentation in line with program requirements set by REACH.
- Representation of ACTED / REACH in cluster and multi-sector meetings/ technical working groups in country and follow up on technical issues identified in cluster meetings in other parts of the country. This specifically will include liaising with external partners to identify potential for data sets to be integrated into existing databases and mapped to support the coordination of the broader humanitarian community.
- He / she will participate in inter-NGO meetings and those of UN agencies and any other relevant inter- governmental institutions at the national or provincial level.
- More generally, the REACH Junior Assessment Officer is expected to contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organisation, notably through the application of REACH mandate, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to other actors.
- The REACH Junior Assessment Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes. He / she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to IMPACT and its partners, or collected during his / her assignment with IMPACT.
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries:
- The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities we work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about REACH programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies. This is the responsibility of every REACH staff member.
- Excellent academic qualifications, including a Master’s degree in relevant discipline;
- At least 2 years of relevant working experience in humanitarian settings;
- Ability to operate in a complex and challenging security environment;
- Fluency in English required;
- Advanced skills in Excel as well as SPSS, R or related statistical programming;
- Knowledge of qualitative analysis and related analytical software (e.g. NVivo);
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative analytical skills;
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for reporting and external coordination;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Contract length: 6 months with the possibility of extension
- Start date: ASAP
- Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria, with field travel, security permitting, as appropriate / Desired.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Carefully observing the details as follows:
- Cover Letter and an updated CV should be a single document (not exceeding 4 pages) in English
- Contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional references must be provided, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer including that of the HR / Admin person. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to “The Recruitment Manager”.
- Only motivated applicants who are able to perform the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered. CV’s – only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail; otherwise, it may not be considered
- CVs will be reviewed on rolling bases
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview. We apologies for the inconvenience.
- ACTED considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability
- we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline 25th February, 2021.