The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with 192 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Assistant
Vacancy No: IFRC04956
Duration: 9 Months
Category of Staff: National Staff
Grade: Not applicable
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies.
- The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
- The IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
- The IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
- The IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. The IFRC also has country cluster delegation and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
- The Abuja based office is the hub to support West Coast Cluster and has a status agreement with Nigerian government. This job is to support the IFRC West Coast country cluster support team
- To provide timely, effective and pro-active administrative and operational support to the HR department.
- To provide on-going data entry and data consolidation in the HR Department
- To support the IFRC team of the West Coast Delegation with all administrative tasks related to both national and international staff
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Support to HR department:
- Draft and edit routine correspondence and other documents issued by the HR department to ensure maximum clarity, conciseness, and quality.
- Creating and maintaining a calendar of records of key dates with regard to periods of probation, renewals or extension of contract and performance appraisals prior to confirmation to ensure that these are attended to in time.
- Support in the implementation and application of the HR policy in the West Coast Delegation and provide advice and support to employees and managers.
- Provide suggestions on how to improve HR functioning in the cluster delegation.
- Assist in the circulation of HR department communications.
- Responsible for introducing all new team members to the IFRC west coast cluster team and ensuring all required documentation have been filled.
- Process schedules for Pension Fund Administration (PFA) Group Life Insurance (GLI) and National Housing Fund (NHF)
- Ensure briefings with all heads of departments are scheduled and done timely.
- Maintain an up-to-date Medical Database for all IFRC national staff.
- Monthly payments for Interns, daily workers and consultants
- Organize logistical and administrative support for external or internal meetings / workshops, such as HR Seminar, and HR internal meetings, briefings.
- Register information on cases related to the Code of Conduct, according to information received.
- Assist the process of knowledge building, knowledge sharing and performance.
- Maintain the HR archives and HR records of the west coast cluster including documentation.
- Liaise with the employees and managers to ensure all required information is received in a timely manner.
Recruitment, Selection, Placement and Exit:
- Organize briefing and debriefing programs for new and departing staff.
- Assist in recruitment process – CV download, longlisting, references and due diligence checks.
- Keeping records of internship program.
- Check references by email and by phone, ensuring that they meet the stipulated requirements.
- Assist the Senior HR Officer in the collection and filing of documents to create complete recruitment files for all positions in the regional office.
- Collect and submit the necessary documents for insurance enrolment and updating and ensure that staff have up-to-date insurance cards.
- Support HR colleagues in shortlisting received applications as directed.
- Schedule interviews, tests and support with logistics on day of the interviews
Data entry and HR systems:
- Ensure timely and accurate handling of recurring data entry and consolidation tasks in SAP and other HR systems.
- Support the production of regular reports from the various systems in use in HR (Performance review, Learning Platform, SAP, e-recruitment tool, etc.)
- Preparation and maintenance of staff files and other HR related documents
- Administering and tracking leave records maintenance and monthly verification
- Prepare all new staff files and maintain the existing staff’s files.
- Maintain a database of all staff information, documents, expiration dates, etc. and follow up with the appropriate people to get any missing documents or information.
Duties applicable to all staff:
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or other similar discipline. – Required
- 1-2 years HR or administrative experience- Required
- Registered with a professional HR Body (CIPD, CIPM or SHRM- Preferred
- Experience and understanding of Federation systems. Preferred
Knowledge, skills and languages:
- Good knowledge of HR Systems (SAP preferred) – Required
- Good understanding of HR functions and best practices. – Required
- Ability to work well under pressure and meets tight deadlines. – Required
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office)- Required
- Excellent customer service mentality- Required
- Good communication skills – Required
- Ability to act efficiently and prioritize activities in a very complex environment. - Required
- Ability to accurately follow instructions. – Required
- Discrete and respect confidentiality- Required
- Excellent organisational skills and a good understanding of the need for effective administrative systems- Required
- Fluently spoken and written English- Required
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)- Preferred
Competencies and values:
- Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability
- Core competencies: Communication; Collaboration and teamwork; Judgement and decision making; National society and customer relations; Creativity and innovation; Building trust
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline 21st March, 2021.