The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Affairs Officer, P3
Job ID: OCHA-162473-J- (X)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Temporary Job Opening
Job Code Title: Humanitarian Affairs Officer
Department / Office: Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Staffing Exercise: N/A
Job Opening Number: 21-Humanitarian Affairs-OCHA-162473-J- (X)
Organizational Setting and Reporting
- This position is located in the Operations and Advocacy Division, Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), which is part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies.
- OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response efforts.
- OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention and facilitate sustainable solutions.
- This temporary job opening is being published for the position of Humanitarian Affairs Officer in Maiduguri, with OCHA Nigeria and the incumbent reports to the Head of the Field Coordination Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Humanitarian Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Leads on the preparation of various communications products, e.g. background papers, correspondence and presentations, Situation Reports, Humanitarian Bulletins, etc. to include advising on products, proposing topics, undertaking research, writing drafts, finalizing and clearing texts and ensuring distribution to agreed target audiences.
- Advises on issues related to public information and supporting its production.
- Initiates and sustains professional relationships with key constituencies, including national NGOs.
- Supports work on cross-cutting issues such as Accountability to Affected People, gender, and localization.
- Serves as the primary focal point on specific topics or policy-related issues; keeps abreast of latest developments, liaises with other humanitarian organizations, donors, etc., ensures appropriate monitoring and reporting mechanisms; provides information and advice on a range of related issues.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on humanitarian developments, disaster relief/management or emergency situations in assigned country/area.
- Establishes and maintains contacts with government officials, other UN agencies, nongovernmental organizations, diplomatic missions, media, etc.
- Reviews and provides advice on policy issues related to safeguarding humanitarian principles and ensuring the effective delivery of humanitarian assistance.
- Organizes and participates in work groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters.
- Provides guidance to, and may supervise, new/junior staff.
- Organizes and prepares studies on humanitarian, emergency relief and related issues; organizes follow-up work, including interagency technical review meetings to support policy development work and decision-making on important issues.
- Participates in large, complex projects, to include disaster assessment or other missions; assists in the coordination of international humanitarian/emergency assistance for complex emergency/disaster situations and in ensuring the necessary support (e.g. staff, funding, specialized equipment, supplies, etc.); drafts situation reports to the international community, apprising of situation to date and specifying unmet requirements of stricken countries.
- Partners with other humanitarian agencies to plan and evaluate humanitarian and emergency assistance programmes and help ensure that latest findings, lessons learned, policy guidelines, etc. are incorporated into these activities, including gender-related considerations.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Political Science, Social Science, International Studies, Public Administration, Economics, Engineering, Earth Sciences or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two (2) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree..
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in humanitarian affairs, emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, rehabilitation, development, or other related area is required.
- Experience in the UN Common System or a comparable international organization is desirable.
- Experience in West Africa is desirable.
- Experience at the international level is required.
- Three (3) years of humanitarian experience in the field (actual setting where a mission and/or project is being implemented) in emergency situations (complex emergency or natural disaster) is required.
- French and English are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
- Knowledge of wide range of humanitarian assistance, emergency relief and related human rights issues. Knowledge and experience of working with humanitarian coordination mechanisms, including Humanitarian Country Teams, Inter Cluster Coordination Groups and Clusters. Knowledge of humanitarian delivery considerations, including ensuring accountability to affected people and cash.
- Knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian affairs and knowledge of the institutions of the UN system. Demonstrated ability to complete in-depth studies and to formulate conclusions/recommendations.
- Ability to relate humanitarian affairs issues and perspectives, including gender issues, to political, economic, social and human rights programmes in affected country/region.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Conceptual and strategic analytical capacity, to include ability to analyze and articulate the humanitarian dimension of complex issues that require a coordinated UN response. Demonstrated problem solving skills and judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a wide range of complex issues/problems.
- Knowledge of region or country of assignment, including the political, economic and social dimensions. Ability to negotiate and to influence others to reach agreement.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters and human misery).
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailor language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- The appointment/assignment is for the duration of 364 days, with the possibility of extension, subject to availability of funds and mandate extension. The selected candidate is expected to start as soon as possible.
- Please note that due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19 and the travel restrictions imposed by national authorities, selected candidates may be required to start the assignment/appointment remotely, in agreement with the hiring manager, and until further notice.
- Please note that the appointment/assignment of the successful candidate will be subject to visa issuance.
- The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training).
- The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts
Application Deadline 7th September, 2021.
we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.