The Edo State Government, led by Governor Obaseki, implemented the Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (EdoBEST) programme to improve basic education across the state. Through EdoBEST, the government is transforming learning outcomes for the 300,000 children across 1,029 public primary and 471 junior secondary schools in Edo State. EdoBEST is a Government designed and lead programme that is re-training all 15,000 government teachers – novice and experienced – to be technologically supported and empowered teachers.
Under EdoBEST, The Edo Supporting Teachers to Achieve Results (Edo STAR) programme is a hands-on government teacher training initiative forming a core pillar of the State’s reform agenda for basic education. The programme is developing a more highly skilled teaching workforce by training, supporting and motivating Edo State teachers to succeed in the classroom of tomorrow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Communications
Location: Benin, Edo
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Edo State Government launched the Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (EdoBEST) programme in 2018, torevolutionize basic education across the state. The programme is designed to deliver on the Governor’s core belief that ‘’once you get basic education right, everything else falls in place.’’
- EdoBEST recognizes that a strong educational foundation will launch its children into a future of success and takes this responsibility seriously. The programme uses a holistic approach that centers on scientifically-based learning materials, a data-driven model and continuous capacity building.
- Through EdoBEST, teachers are equipped to leverage technology, motivate pupils and employ scientifically-based learning materials; teaching methods and classroom techniques. EdoBEST head teachers are coached to support their teachers, connect with their communities and take full ownership of all aspects of their schools. While education managers are trained to leverage technology and data-driven approaches to support school staff and effectively fulfill their roles.
- EdoBEST is on track to serve hundreds of thousands of children across all government primary and junior secondary schools in the state, improving their learning outcomes and their life opportunities. Critically the program is also investing in the professional development of government teachers, school leaders and education managers; providing capacity building for thousands of civil servants.
- Working hand in hand with the state government to entrench quality education and the structures that enable it is dynamic and urgent work. We need team members that are deeply passionate, thrive in ever-changing environments and enjoy digging into challenges.
- We are truly a team of trailblazers working to ensure that the children of Edo State have the opportunity to maximize their potential. We need those that are committed to this transformative programme, and inspired by its ambition, to join us!
- The Strategy Group is responsible for our overall direction in education service, designing our verbal and visual brand, communicating our work internally and externally, providing insight into the ecosystems within which we work, measuring the impact of our programs, engaging our government partners in programming, ensuring regulatory compliance, and expanding the reach of our services into new geographies.
- Creative, Communications, Insights, Measurement & Evaluation, Quality Assurance, Policy & Partnerships, and New Opportunities are all departments within the Strategy Group. Collaboration between and coordination of each of these department’s functions is critical to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country.
- The Communications team is housed with the Strategy group. It collaborates across departments and programmes to create and execute compelling strategies; locally and globally.
- Communications has a wide portfolio of responsibilities including external and internal relations, advocacy, strategy, digital, reputation management and media relations.
- We are focused on ensuring that the exceptional achievements being made across a wide portfolio of programming are effectively andimpactfullycommunicated.
- We lead, develop and support strategies in multiple programmes and continents simultaneously; shaping and influencing the external environments in which we work. We pride ourselves in being able to respond quickly and effectively at all times.
About the Role
- As Director, Communications, you will be the communications lead for a large scale government education programme.
- You will support the government in the creation and delivery of communications strategies and ensure that the programme is being communicated effectively to a wide range of stakeholders both at a statewide, national and international level.
- You will be able to leverage relationships to influence communications approaches and build strong advocacy platforms to further the aims and ambitions of the work.
- You will create, write and design content that is both compelling and impactful; that places your programme at the core of the group communications strategy in Nigeria.
What You Will Do
- Manage the communications for a statewide government educationprogramme.
- Act as the communications lead for a government communications team and programme.
- Develop compelling communications strategies for the promotion of the programme within Nigeria and internationally.
- Directly manage media engagement and cultivate media contacts.
- Pitch stories to both national and local media to achieve high visibility for in print, broadcast, TV and online media outlets.
- Evaluate opportunities for communications partnerships and platforms that will strengthen the programme.
- Act as a spokesperson and represent the programme in local and national forums.
- Build a strong advocacy engagement programme with national and multinational partners.
- Write clear and compelling pitches, press releases and articles.
- Support the government to develop content strategies for digital communications.
- Identify media trends, news cycle opportunities.
- Support internal communications initiatives to promote the programme.
- Analyze and measure results of communications initiatives.
- Work closely within the Nigerian communications group to ensure that the communications strategy for the programme is advanced and complementary to the group strategy.
What You Should Have
- A Master’s degree
- 8+year’srelevant experience in communications.
- Experience of working with or for government in a communications capacity.
- Experience in Nigeria of working in communications for political, campaigning, non-profit, or social enterprise. Experience with a multinational organization is a plus.
- Experience working within a matrixed global organization.
- Strong experience of creating and executing communications plans and strategies.
- An established network of local and national media contacts.
- Experience of being the lead external relations contact for media and stakeholders.
- A strong sense of the news agenda and ability to make issues and campaigns relevant.
- Experience of handling crisis communications.
- Experience of supporting in the creation and delivery of social media and digital campaigns.
- Strong writing and editorial skills.
- A strong-sense of teamwork and ability to both manage and execute programs.
- An extremely proactive and determined attitude.
- Prior experience within a fast-paced, disruptor, metric driven consulting or educational organization is a bonus.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, we workin often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:Click here to apply
- we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline 23rd March, 2021.