Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor
Location: Makurdi, Benue
Employment Type: Indefinite
Duty Station: MSF OCA, Benue Project
Main Objective and Responsibility
- Provide outpatient and / or inpatient medical care to patients / beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
Description of the Responsibilities / Activities
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow and checking they have understood those instructions.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities:
- Provide quality medical care to OPD patients with focus on the complicated cases in both general OPD and RH departments as well as ensuring referrals are done in accordance with the prevailing referral policy and in consultation with the MAM/MTL whenever necessary.
- In collaboration with the Referral Nurse, monitor the quality of care rendered to patients in the selected referral hospitals including proper records on discharge.
- Ensure updated vaccination status according to EPI schedule for all children in collaboration with the local health authority
- In collaboration with the MWAM and SGBV focal person, ensure a well-coordinated and patient centered care for SGBV survivors including record keeping according to the SGBV protocols.
- Ensure rational use of medicines and help monitor consumption patterns at the health posts following MSF guidelines and participate in making the medical orders
- Participate in response to medical emergencies, surveillance of possible outbreaks and in ongoing humanitarian needs assessment
- In collaboration with the NTS, ensure daily functionality of medical activities at the health posts and ensure proper adherence to MSF protocols and guidelines in General OPD and RH departments
- Provide on-job clinical coaching and organize trainings according to identified needs for both MSF and MOH nurses, CHEWs working at the health posts.
- Ensure MUAC screening is done for children between 6 – 59 months as part of surveillance for monitoring trends of malnutrition
- Perform any other medical procedures/duties whenever required
- Ensure proper registration of medical morbidity and other records.
- Contribute to data analysis and compilation of Monthly medical and other relevant reports.
- Maintain confidentiality and secure management of medical records.
- In collaboration with the Referral Nurse and NTS, ensure timely submission of hospital claims from the designated hospitals to the MAM/MTL.
Stock and Drug Management:
- In collaboration with the MTL and other Key medical Supervisors, participate in the formulaton of the PMSL and FMCs.
- Routinely monitor prescription patterns by clinicians to ensure adherence to MSF protocols.
- Routinely give TSR feedback to clinicians in terms of ruptures, overstocks and propose for solutions that include use of alternative drugs e.t.c.
- Together with the NTS, ensure all medical equipment are in good working order and are routinely callibrated
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Degree in Medicine, current registration/license as a Medical Doctor
- 2 year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor
- Previous experience in MSF setting or with other NGO will be desirable
- Demonstrable experience in coaching and training others
- English language essential. Local language desirable (Tiv or Idoma).
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
- Sound clinical skills and knowledge in reproductive health related activities.
- Ability to cope with stress and high workload.
- Ability to organize and prioritize the work.
- Excellent organizational and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work well as part of a multicultural and multidisciplinary team.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted omline will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered
Application Deadline 15th September, 2021.
we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.