Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC). The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Cross Kauwa LGA.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Cook
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Under the supervision of the HR Officer, The cook is responsible for preparing meals, in a safe manner, on working days for expatriate staff.
- He/she is also responsible for requesting the food and equipment necessary for this work, and the maintenance of his/her workspace.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Keep the kitchen, cooking utensils and refrigerator clean. Disinfect the refrigerator monthly.
- Inform his/her line manager of any cooking equipment required and of any missing or damaged materials
- Prepare and clean the dining area before and after meals
- Manage food and commodity stocks for expatriate accommodation
- Prepare meals according to the fixed number of people and definite planning, checking that the food is healthy and the menus varied
- Respect the essential hygiene guidelines and maintain exemplary conditions of hygiene in the kitchen and storage areas
- Buy the produce required for meal preparation, within the fixed budget
- Keep a log recording all expenditure and regularly settle advances relating to the purchase of food
- Evaluate gas and monitor gas consumption
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs. The employee could be requested to perform other tasks as his/her line manager may judge necessary.
Priorities of the Department:
- Plan, organize, and implement cooking activities as per pui guidelines
- Ensure that the kitchen, cooking utensils and refrigerator are always clean and up-to-date
- Ensure that the kitchen’s water dispensers are always clean and disinfected quarterly
- Education degree: Secondary Education, professional catering course is an asset
- Work experience: Previous experience in a similar position is an asset
- Language skills: Fluent in English, Hausa and Kanuri is an asset.
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Initiatives taker
- Negotiation skills
- Diplomatic and open-minded
- Environmental sensitivity
- Independent worker
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: For Nigeria Nationals only
- we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline 26th January, 2021.