Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc has been a part of the lives of Nigerians at home and abroad. Our global vision is to be a leading foods company in Africa providing high quality and affordable products in the most convenient ways to consumers through world class brands like Golden Penny Flour, Golden Penny Semovita, Goldenvita, Golden Pasta and Golden Noodles. The Company’s flagship brand, Golden Penny, remains one of the best known and the preferred brands amongst bakers, confectioneries and consumers in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical & Risk Safety Manager
- This position will be responsible for leading the FMN Operational Risk Management Framework, implementing and / or administering safety programs during the life of engineering / construction projects.
- Day to day, the Technical & Risk Safety manager will be involved in making sure safety design requirements and operability of engineering plant and equipment, machinery and construction projects are met.
- Liaise with the insurance team and interact with insurance risk auditors from the underwriters, making sure identified risks are closed timely
- Produce & grant approval for the Safety & Loss Prevention Audits & Follow-up process
- Produce a comprehensive Safety & Loss Prevention tool to be used across the Group
- Train / familiarize the ORM team members on both of the above
- Schedule and execute the annual Safety Risk Audits
- Conduct operational risk audits and make sure that actions to mitigate risks are properly closed out
- Produce the material required for, train the ORM Team members on, and create/execute, the Business Continuity Plans of each BU / plant
- Checks that contractors perform their activities in accordance with all the safety applicable procedures, regulation and standards and contractual Safety requirements. Promoting all necessary action to ensure that the said procedures and regulations are observed
- Organize, plan and participate in periodic safety walkthrough, assessments, inspections and audits on site, prepare all the relevant reports, action plans, verify the follow up and the timely execution of the corrective action
- Organize and participate in all relevant project sites safety meetings, prepares the relevant minutes of meetings (MOM), Lead weekly Safety meetings with contractors
- Organize in case of work incidents/accidents a full investigation of the event, finalized to the identification and execution of corrective measures to avoid reoccurrence
- Start the monthly reporting process
- Conducts compliance evaluations of equipment, structures, and work in progress to ensure that regulatory environmental, safety, and health standards of the company and all applicable codes are followed
- Verifies and ensures that all field project activities are performed according to the Company safety policy, regulations, standards and procedures, promoting all preventive and corrective actions as required
- Reviews projects safety management plans, method statements, construction drawings and risk assessments
- Reviews plans and specifications for new machinery and equipment to make sure they meet safety requirements
- Identify and correct potential hazards by inspecting facilities, machinery, and safety equipment
- Guides engineers in how to incorporate safety requirements into the engineering project designs
- Oversees safety issues during project development
- Prepares and reviews technical reports, correspondence, and safety procedures
- Promotes and encourages sustained implementation and continuous improvement of best safety practice, culture and performance
- Prepare and update the Technical / projects safety statistics, verify the performance versus the project and corporate safety objective, targets and performance indicators; propose recovery plan in case of mismatch.
- Prepare Safety training materials; procedures & processes for construction and Engineering Operations
- Participate in HAZOP, HAZID studies and JSA risk assessments to mitigate Safety risks
- Prepare safety documentations (Plans, procedures, risk assessments etc.) regarding Engineering and Construction Operations.
- Control approve and audit of safety documentations of all contractors and their subcontractors.
- Organize and execute general Safety auditing system for all contractors and their subcontractors
- Prepare audit reports and record open item to an action item list for tracking.
- Prepare Safety incentive system for the Project including subcontractors
- Ensure fire protection systems are designed in accordance with acceptable international fire codes and maintained accordingly
- Liaise with Insurance to review gaps in safety standard and close gaps to reduce premiums
- Develop and implement robust Permit to work program and LOTO system to manage the execution of routine and non-routine hazardous tasks
- Design and implement safe systems for fall arrest/protection during work at height and loading of goods on trucks
- Prepare Contractor evaluation reports and advise procurement/ business units
- Prepare Safety checklists for Project sites & Engineering inspections.
- Prepare training matrix, procedure and materials for all engineering employees
- Prepare monthly & weekly reports including KPIs for Contractors
Qualification and Experience
- B.Sc. or HND in Industrial, Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering or other related fields
- 8 years’ cognate experience
- Must have Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good time management skills
- Ability to work in high-stress environments
- Be able to pay attention to details
- Project Management skills and good Technical understanding
- Member ISPON (Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria); Recognized Health & Safety qualification (OHSAS 18001 and NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Safety & Health)
- Membership of any of the following bodies would also be an advantage; Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE)/ National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)/ International Institute of Risk & Safety Management. (IIRSM)
- COREN Membership
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
we are an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged.
• We reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
• Scam Warning:
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview or the next stage of the recruitment process.