Job Title: Administrative and Protocol Assistant, COET
Location: Addis-Ababa, Ethiopia
Position N°: 50052054
The Vice Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery, is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities. This will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
The Hiring Department / Division
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa:
- North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s of ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’ The position is situated in the Eastern Africa Regional Development and Business Delivery Office, in the Ethiopia Country Office.
- The Ethiopia Country Office of the African Development Bank was established primarily to strengthen Bank’s policy dialogue with the Governments of Ethiopia and other stakeholders; develop and implement robust lending program for the Bank; improve performance of the project portfolio and advance aid coordination with other development partners.
- The Administrative and Protocol Assistant will report to the Country Manager and work closely with the Team to provide administrative support to the Country Office.
- He / she will help the Country Manager and the team to smoothen outreach, including administrative and diplomatic interaction with the Government and Government entities / agencies, the diplomatic community and key stakeholders, and in so doing facilitate the administrative, financial and diplomatic activities of the Bank.
The Administrative and Protocol Assistant will be responsible for the following:
- Receive, process and carefully verify documents to maintain and strengthen the trust of African Development Bank’s partners
- Ensure the careful preparation of draft “Notes Verbales” addressed to the host country and diplomatic missions, with particular attention to preserving the Bank’s good image.
- Prepare administrative correspondence addressed to host country authorities, taking into account local contexts and specificities.
- Manage the day-to-day affairs with host country and diplomatic missions, in accordance with protocol standards and relevant instruments.
- Ensure compliance and fruitful implementation of Partnership/Host Country Agreements
- Ensure all Administrative Responsibilities are accomplished.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and direction of the Country Manger and the Administrative and Finance Officer, the Administrative and Protocol Assistant performs the following:
- Receive and process visa applications from staff members of the African Development Bank and their family members.
- Prepare Notes Verbales for visa applications
- Send visa application / requests to diplomatic missions for missions, holidays, children’s study trips, medical evacuation and transit stays.
- File visa documents
- On behalf of COET, liaise with various ministries and other host country authorities and with various Diplomatic Missions to accomplish and advance the work and mission of the Bank.
- Welcome, receive and assist the AfDB President, elected Bank official, official delegations and guests of the African Development Bank at the Airport; and see them off upon departure.
- Keep monthly statistics on visa activities.
- Process and follow-up on entry visa applications with relevant ministries, authorities and services.
- Ensure that protocol is respected at all Ceremonies and Official Events organized by the Bank.
- Ensure that protocol is respected at Bank Group Meetings and other statutory meetings.
- Liaise with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and public utility agencies;
- Facilitate customs formalities and clear shipments
- Facilitate air tickets and arrange accommodations for staffs traveling on mission to and from COET, and for all visiting Bank guests including consultants.
- Facilitate the purchase of office consumable items as required;
- Handling of petty cash.
- Assisting conference organizers in obtaining visas, booking, conference venues, making logistical arrangements;
- Manage all public spaces of the office (meeting room, visitors room, library, and kitchen) in terms of scheduling and readiness of meeting rooms prior to each usage (availability, set-up and functionality of all necessary equipment), general upkeep, tidiness, inventory of equipment and supplies and provision of hospitality services
- Perform other duties as required / assigned by the Country Manager
- Hold at least a higher education (Bachelor’s degree in Administration, Science, Business Management, Commerce, Administration or related discipline, preferably supplemented with courses in Secretarial Training / Administration / Office Management). A diploma in Public Relations, Diplomacy or Diplomatic Skills will be an added advantage.
- At least five (5) years of professional experience in the area of Protocol, Public Relations or Public Administration.
- The incumbent should also have work experience in a multicultural environment.
- General knowledge of Protocol and similar experience in an intergovernmental organization
- Private-sector experience would be an added advantage.
- Possess sound knowledge of diplomatic norms and practices.
- Able to work under pressure in the dynamic setting of an international and multicultural setting.
- Handling speedily and efficiently internal and external requests.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others from diverse background
- Knowledge of secretarial skills and duties
- Knowledge of administration duties
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (SAP, Word, Excel, Access, MS Projects and PowerPoint).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English. Knowledge of French will be considered as an advantage.
Application Closing Date
1st January, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
• We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
• Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
• We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
• Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview